An up and down February came to an end yesterday with a 4-6 night overall for our posted picks and leans, though we did hit our Best Bet on the Wild First Period Moneyline.
We closed the month with an overall record of 69-64 for +1.3 units – nothing to get that excited about, but it did secure our fourth straight positive month. On the year, the picks and leans we’ve posted on this site are now 343-288 (54%) for +36.3 units.
It’s a fairly quiet day in the NHL – on the ice, at least, with just 2 games scheduled. Off the ice, it’s basically a national holiday here in Canada as the NHL trade deadline comes and goes this afternoon, bringing with it marathon coverage on TV.
Most of the major moves were already made prior to today, though the Panthers made a nice acquisition today in getting Vanek from Detroit. Florida is making a pretty strong push for a wild card spot (just 1 point out now, and they’re also just 4 points out of third in the Atlantic), and that should definitely help them.
Here’s stats, trends and our leans for the two games tonight, including a doozy in Chicago between the Penguins and Blackhawks. Good luck!
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Carolina: The Hurricanes are playing decent defensively, allowing 8 regulation time goals in their last 4 games. Tampa’s lost 13 of its last 16 games when coming off a victory.
Reasons to bet Tampa: The Lightning is 6-1-2 in its last 9 games and has scored 3+ goals in 7 of those outings. Carolina has lost 7 of its last 8 games.
Other things to know:
- Tampa beat Carolina 3-1 Dec. 31 in Tampa
- Carolina beat Tampa 1-0 Dec. 4 in Carolina
- Carolina is 7-16-7 on the road
- Tampa is 16-11-2 at home
- Tampa has won 4 of the last 5 meetings and 8 of 10
- Carolina has scored 10 goals in its last 8 games
- Carolina has scored 2 goals or less in 8 of its last 10 games
- Carolina has allowed 3+ goals in 7 of its last 9 games
- Carolina has allowed 2 regulation time goals or less in 3 of its last 6
- The Under is 5-0-1 in Carolina’s last 6 games
- Tampa has allowed 2 goals or less in 7 of its last 9 games
- The Under is 5-1-1 in the last 7 meetings in Tampa
- Skinner is questionable for Carolina
Probable goalies: Ward, Vasilevskiy (confirmed)
Reasons to bet Pittsburgh: The Penguins should be hungry to bounce back from a disappointing loss last night in Dallas, Pittsburgh’s first loss in 66 games when leading after 2 periods.
Reasons to bet Chicago: The Blackhawks have won 9 of their last 10 games, with the 1 loss coming in their first game after their bye week. Chicago outscored its opponents 43-21 in those victories.
Other things to know:
- Chicago has won the last 4 meetings and 7 of 9
- Pittsburgh is 13-11-5 on the road
- Chicago is 20-8-4 at home
- Pittsburgh has scored 12 goals in its last 5 games
- Pittsburgh has allowed 2 regulation time goals or less in 6 of its last 10 games
- Chicago has allowed 2+ goals in 8 of its last 10 games and 3+ in 6 of 10
- The Over is 37-20 in Pittsburgh’s games this year
- The Over is 17-5-4 in Chicago’s last 26 games
- The Over is 7-1-1 in Chicago’s last 9 home games
- The Under is 5-1 in Pittsburgh’s last 6 road games
- Letang is questionable for Pittsburgh
Probable goalies: Murray, Darling (confirmed)
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…