We took the day off yesterday (other than a Capitals First Period pick we posted on Twitter that lost) and boy are we glad we did.
What a weird day that was in the NHL yesterday – from the Penguins losing at home to Detroit, to the struggling Leafs blanking the Hurricanes in Carolina, to the Lightning needing overtime to squeak past the Avalanche, to the Bruins coming off their bye to earn a 2-1 OT win in San Jose.
The NHL has seemed a bit more unpredictable in general lately (at least for us, with our picks going a few games under .500 over the past week) but Sundays definitely feel like they’re the weirdest day of the week when it comes to surprises and upsets.
There’s just 2 games in the NHL tonight, and we’ve got stats, trends and opinions for both below. Of the two leans, we like the Blues the most as Florida could let down a bit as it plays the final game of what has already been an extremely successful road trip, visiting a St. Louis squad coming off a disappointing performance Saturday in Buffalo.
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Florida: The Panthers have won 4 straight games, all on the road, and scored 20 goals in those 4 contests. St. Louis has been limited to 2 goals or less in 5 of its last 8 games.
Reasons to bet St. Louis: The Blues are 18-9-4 at home and have won 6 of their last 7 games overall. Florida is playing the final game of a 5-game road trip, and its 3rd road game in 4 days.
Other things to know:
- St. Louis beat Florida 5-3 Feb. 12 in Florida
- St. Louis has won 7 of the last 8 meetings
- Florida has scored 3+ goals in 5 straight games and 6 of its last 7
- Florida has allowed 3 goals in its last 2 games after allowing 15 in its previous 3
- Florida is 13-10-7 on the road
- St. Louis has lost 5 of its last 7 home games
- St. Louis has allowed 9 goals in its last 7 games
- The Under is 16-5-1 in the last 22 meetings
- The Under is 6-2-1 in the last 9 meetings in St. Louis
- Both teams are playing their 4th game in 6 days
Probable goalies: Reimer (confirmed), Allen (confirmed)
Reasons to bet Anaheim: The Ducks have won 5 straight meetings with Arizona, including 3 already this year. The Coyotes have allowed 12 goals in their last 3 games.
Reasons to bet Arizona: The Coyotes are 4-2-1 in their last 7 games and averaging 3.2 goals per game in their last 10. Anaheim has lost its last 5 games when playing for the second time in as many days.
Other things to know:
- Anaheim beat Arizona 3-0 Jan. 14 in Arizona, 3-2 in OT Jan. 6 in Arizona and 5-1 Nov. 4 in Anaheim
- Anaheim is 13-12-7 on the road
- Arizona is 12-14-3 at home
- The Under is 28-18 in Anaheim’s games this year
- The Under is 29-21 in Arizona’s games this year
- Anaheim has scored 1 goal or less in 6 of its last 10 games
- Anaheim has allowed 2 regulation time goals or less in 6 of its last 9 games
- Arizona has allowed 3+ goals in 5 of its last 6 games and 7 of 9
- The Under is 8-3-2 in Anaheim’s last 13 road games
- The Under is 17-5-4 in Anaheim’s last 26 games overall
Probable goalies: Gibson, Smith (confirmed)
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…