We took the day off from posting writeups and picks to our site yesterday, but were still watching the scoreboard. And there were several interesting results on a very busy Sunday in the NHL.
The Islanders kept their faint playoff hopes alive with a gutsy win in Buffalo without injured captain John Tavares; the Lightning doubled up the pesky Stars 6-3 to move within 3 points of the Sens and Leafs for the final playoff spot in the East; and the Hurricanes were virtually eliminated from post-season contention with a 3-2 loss in Pittsburgh.
In the West, the Blues moved past Nashville into third in the Central with a 4-1 win over the Predators, and the Ducks took over first place in the Pacific with a 4-3 victory in Calgary.
There are 3 games tonight, all in the East. The Leafs and Senators need wins to maintain their leads over 9th-place Tampa, and the Canadiens can basically secure first place in the Atlantic with a victory over the Panthers. Not surprisingly, all 3 of those teams opened as favourites (the Sens have since been bet down to underdogs) despite being on the road.
Below are stats, trends and betting opinions on all 3 matchups. Good luck if you’re betting any of the games!
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Toronto: The Leafs have gone 7-1-1 in their last 9 games. Buffalo has scored 2 goals or less in 7 of its last 9 outings.
Reasons to bet Buffalo: The Sabres always give the Leafs trouble in Buffalo, winning 21 of the last 27 meetings there.
Other things to know:
- Buffalo beat Toronto 5-2 March 25 in Buffalo and 3-1 Feb. 11 in Toronto
- Toronto beat Buffalo 4-3 Jan. 17 in Toronto and 2-1 Nov. 3 in Buffalo
- Toronto has scored 3+ goals in 6 of its last 7 games
- Toronto has allowed 2 goals or less in 7 of its last 9 games
- The Over is 9-4-3 in the last 16 meetings
- The home team has won 37 of the last 55 meetings
- The Over is 13-6-2 in Buffalo’s last 21 games on 0 days rest
- Okposo is questionable for Buffalo
Probable goalies: Andersen (confirmed), Lehner (confirmed)
Reasons to bet Ottawa: The Senators need points to solidify their spot in the playoffs and move into one of the top 3 slots in the Atlantic Division. Detroit has lost 3 straight and is out of playoff contention.
Reasons to bet Detroit: The Red Wings have won 5 of the last 6 meetings, including both this year. Ottawa has lost 8 of its last 10 games, and scored 2 goals or less in 5 straight and 8 of 10.
Other things to know:
- Detroit beat Ottawa 3-2 in OT Dec. 29 in Ottawa and 5-1 Oct. 17 in Detroit
- Ottawa is 21-16-1 on the road
- Ottawa has lost 4 straight on the road
- Detroit has lost 23 of its last 34 home games
- Ottawa has allowed 3+ goals in 4 straight games and 6 of 8
- Detroit has scored 3+ goals in 4 of its last 5 games
- Detroit has allowed 3+ goals in 4 straight
- The teams play again tomorrow in Ottawa
- The Under is 17-8-1 in Ottawa’s last 26 games
- The Under is 8-3 in Detroit’s last 11 home games
- Karlsson is doubtful for Ottawa and Ceci is out
Probable goalies: Anderson (confirmed), Mrazek (confirmed)
Reasons to bet Montreal: The Canadiens are 6-1-1 in their last 8 games and have won 8 of 9 on the road. Florida has lost 4 straight games, allowing 18 goals in those contests.
Reasons to bet Florida: Montreal may let down a bit with a 7-point lead in the Atlantic Division and just 5 games remaining for the teams chasing them. The Canadiens have scored 1 regulation time goal in 3 of their last 6 games.
Other things to know:
- Montreal beat Florida 6-2 March 30 in Montreal and 3-2 in OT Dec. 29 in Florida
- Florida beat Montreal 4-3 in OT Nov. 15 in Montreal
- Montreal has allowed 2 goals or less in 4 straight games and 6 of 7
- Florida has allowed 3+ goals in 7 of its last 9 games
- Florida has scored 2+ goals in 7 straight games
- Florida has been outscored 14-3 in first periods over its last 10 games
- Montreal has won 5 of its last 7 trips to Florida
- The Over is 5-1 in Florida’s last 6 home games
- The Under is 10-3-3 in Montreal’s last 16 road games
- The Under is 15-6-6 in Montreal’s last 27 games overall
- Weber is out for Montreal
Probable goalies: Lindgren (confirmed), Berra (confirmed)
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…