Well, that wasn’t the start to the second half that we wanted last night, going 4-9 overall. It was a sour end to an otherwise terrific January as posted picks and leans finished the month 94-73 for +15.2 units.
What a crazy night that was yesterday, with 11 of the 14 games went Over the total. Considering the Over went 9-2 in the first day after the all-star break last year as well, it makes you think players aren’t too committed to playing defence (or the goalies are a bit rusty) after a few days on the beach.
It was stunning to see the Leafs, who have been so good in first periods on the road this year, come out so flat against a Dallas team that has struggled with slow starts all season. Also surprising to see the Panthers light up the scoreboard with 6 goals. We can’t wait for teams to get a few games under their belt again and get back to their normal tendencies.
Not quite as surprising to see Hitchcock get the axe this morning in St. Louis. He’s always been a defence-first coach, and the Blues have hardly been a defensive powerhouse all season. With Mike Yeo taking over, we can see the Blues getting back to playing low-scoring games in the future, but they’ll need a lot better goaltending than what they’ve been getting.
Just 3 games in the NHL tonight, and we’re passing on a Best Bet until teams get back in the groove again. Personally, the Wild First Period ML is the only bet we’re making today, but we do think there’s value in the other two games as well.
Good luck tonight!
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Boston: The Bruins have won 3 straight games and are 14-9-6 on the road. Washington has allowed 3+ goals in 5 of its last 7 games.
Reasons to bet Washington: The Capitals have won 7 straight meetings. Boston has allowed 3+ goals in 7 of its last 8 games.
Other things to know:
- Washington beat Boston 4-3 in OT Dec. 7 in Washington (Washington led 3-0 with 4 minutes left in the second period)
- Washington is 19-5-1 at home
- Boston’s last 3 wins have come by 4-3 scores
- Boston has scored 4+ goals in 6 of its last 10 games
- Boston has outshot 11 straight opponents, 9 of them by 8+ shots
- Washington has scored 4+ goals in 8 of its last 10 games
- The Under is 5-1-1 in the last 7 meetings
- Boston has lost 13 of its last 16 games when playing on 0 days rest
- Washington has lost 4 of its last 5 games when playing on 0 days rest
- The Over is 5-1 in Boston’s last 6 road games
- The Over is 4-0-2 in Washington’s last 6 road games
Probable goalies: Rask, Holtby
Reasons to bet Minnesota: The Wild shook off any rust from the all-star break with a 5-2 win last night in Edmonton, improving to 22-4 in its last 26 games. Calgary has lost 4 of its last 5 games and 6 of 8, and hasn’t played since Thursday.
Reasons to bet Calgary: The Flames have won the last 3 meetings, including both this season.
Other things to know:
- Calgary beat Minnesota 3-2 in a shootout Dec. 2 in Calgary and 1-0 Nov. 15 in Minnesota
- Minnesota is 16-5-5 on the road
- Calgary is 13-13 at home
- Minnesota has scored 3+ goals in 9 of its last 10 games
- Minnesota has allowed 5 goals in its last 3 games
- The Over is 8-1-1 in Minnesota’s last 10 games
- Calgary has scored 3+ goals in 4 of its last 6 games
- Calgary has allowed 3+ goals in 4 of its last 5 games
- The Under is 13-4-3 in the last 20 meetings in Calgary
Probable goalies: Dubnyk (confirmed), Johnson
Reasons to bet Colorado: The Avalanche is 8-14-1 on the road and has won the last 3 meetings.
Reasons to bet Los Angeles: The Kings have won 3 straight games, allowing a total of 3 goals in those contests. Colorado has lost 8 straight.
Other things to know:
- Colorado beat LA 4-1 Nov. 15 in Colorado
- LA is 14-8-1 at home
- Colorado has scored 2 goals or less in 9 of its last 10 games
- Colorado has scored 1 regulation time goal in 5 of its last 10 games
- Colorado has allowed 3+ goals in 8 of its last 10 games
- LA has scored 3 goals or less in 8 straight games
- LA has scored 2 regulation time goals or less in 5 of its last 8 games
- LA has allowed 2 goals or less in 6 of its last 9 games
- The Under is 6-1-3 in the last 10 meetings in LA
Probable goalies: Pickard, Budaj
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…