Last night might have been our roughest night of the season as we went 3-7 overall. At least we hit our Best Bet on the Rangers Team Total Under 2.5, as the exhausted Rangers were pounded 7-2 in Pittsburgh.
We’ve had a lot of new followers this week so we’ll repeat what we’ve said all along since we started posting opinions on every game a couple of months ago: we don’t recommend you just blindly bet every pick and lean we post.
Unless you’re extremely disciplined with your bankroll and willing to go through some ups and downs (like 4-0 Monday night and 3-7 last night), it’s very difficult to survive betting every game, every night.
Instead, we suggest you read the breakdowns of each game and find a few leans you agree with, or even reach your own decisions based on the information provided.
Things quiet down tonight in the NHL with just 2 games on the schedule. But fasten your seat belts for the next couple of days as there will be tons of action before the NHL shuts down for Christmas break. We’re posting this around 1 p.m. eastern time so that we can get started on tomorrow’s card (and we’re already looking forward to Pittsburgh/Columbus).
We don’t feel strong enough about the games tonight to make either of them a Best Bet, but we do like the Arizona/Edmonton pick more than the Caps/Flyers, if that helps.
Good luck tonight!
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Washington: The Capitals are 8-3-3 on the road this season and have won 6 of their last 7 games. Philadelphia has dropped 2 straight, scoring 1 goal in each of those contests.
Reasons to bet Philadelphia: The Flyers have not lost in regulation time at home since Nov. 25, claiming 13 of a possible 14 points in their last 7 home games. Washington’s dropped 9 of its last 13 visits to Philly.
Other things to know:
- Philadelphia is 11-5-3 at home
- Washington has gone to OT in 4 of its last 8 games
- Philadelphia has gone to OT in 4 of its last 10 games
- Washington had scored 3+ goals in 6 straight until a 2-1 loss to Montreal Sunday
- Philadelphia has scored 1 goal in 3 of its last 4 games after scoring 23 in its previous 6
- Philadelphia has allowed 2 goals or less in 7 of its last 10 games
- Washington has allowed 2 goals or less in 4 of its last 5 games
- The Under is 5-1-2 in the last 8 meetings
Probable goalies: Holtby (confirmed), Mason (confirmed)
Reasons to bet Edmonton: The Oilers are 9-5-4 on the road this year and have earned points in 8 of their last 10 games overall. Arizona has lost 2 straight games and 7 of 10.
Reasons to bet Arizona: The Coyotes have owned Edmonton for years, winning 26 of the last 31 meetings and 14 of the last 17 in Arizona. Goalie Mike Smith is 15-1-1 with a 2.24 GAA in his career versus the Oilers.
Other things to know:
- Arizona beat Edmonton 2-1 Nov. 27 in Edmonton and 3-2 Nov. 25 in a shootout in Arizona
- Edmonton has scored 3+ goals in 3 of 4 games, 5 of 7 and 7 of 10
- Edmonton has scored 2 goals or less in regulation in 4 of its last 5 games
- Edmonton has gone to OT in 6 of its last 9 games
- Edmonton has 1 regulation time win in its last 9 games
- Arizona has scored 2 regulation time goals or less in 4 of its last 5 and 8 of 10
- Arizona has allowed 4+ goals in 2 straight games, 3 of 5 and 5 of 9
- The Under is 4-0-1 in Edmonton’s last 5 games
- The Under is 9-2-2 in Arizona’s last 13 home games
- The Over is 25-11-2 in the last 38 meetings in Arizona
Probable goalies: Talbot, Smith (confirmed)
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…