We took the day off yesterday after pushing our Best Bet Saturday and going 4-5 on our leans.
Just 2 games tonight in the National Hockey League, including one of the biggest mismatches of the season (on paper, at least) as the Coyotes visit Pittsburgh.
Everyone and their dog will want to bet on the Penguins in that game. Problem is, the oddsmakers know that and have jacked up the odds on Pittsburgh.
The Penguins are -300 or higher on the moneyline, they’re -180 or higher to win the game in regulation time, and their Team Total is bumped up to 3.5 with even money on the Over.
To put that -300 moneyline on Pittsburgh into perspective, you’d need to win that bet 75% of the time just to break even.
To us, the only ways to play that game are either to combine Pittsburgh into a parlay or to look to take the Coyotes in some way. We’re passing on the game ourselves, but we’ve come up with a suggestion for the best way to bet the game if you absolutely feel like you must, as well as a lean on the Bruins/Canadiens game.
We’ll be back tomorrow with picks, leans and breakdowns for all 10 games in the NHL.
Odds below are at the time we made the pick. Be sure to check out our live odds page for updated odds on today’s games.
Reasons to bet Arizona: Well, they pay nearly 3:1 on the moneyline, so there’s that. The Penguins might also let down a bit against a struggling non-conference opponent they’re expected to beat.
Reasons to bet Pittsburgh: The Penguins have scored 28 goals during their 5-game winning streak, and have tallied 4 goals or more in 7 of their last 9 games. Pittsburgh is 11-2-1 at home and the Coyotes are 3-8-3 on the road.
Other things to know:
- The Under is 16-8 in Arizona’s games this year
- The Over is 18-6 in Pittsburgh’s games this year
- Arizona snapped a 6-game losing streak Saturday with a 4-1 home win over Nashville
- Arizona is playing its first game of a 4-game road trip
- Arizona had scored 13 regulation time goals in 9 games before Saturday’s win
- Arizona has allowed 2 regulation time goals in its last 2 games
- Pittsburgh has allowed 3+ goals in 6 of its last 8 and 7 of 10
- Arizona has gone Under in 8 of its last 9
- Pittsburgh has gone Over in 10 straight
- The Under is 6-1 in the last 7 meetings
- Arizona has been outscored 12-10 in the first period this season on the road
- Pittsburgh has been outscored 14-11 in the first period this season at home
Probable goalies: Smith (confirmed), Murray
Reasons to bet Boston: The Bruins should be hungry tonight to snap a 3-game losing streak. Boston outshot the Canadiens 43-23 in the last meeting between the teams, Nov. 8 in Montreal.
Reasons to bet Montreal: The Canadiens are 14-1-1 at home and are coming off a 10-1 pounding of the Avalanche on Saturday. Montreal has scored 5+ goals in 3 of its last 4 games while Boston has given up 4 goals in each of its last 3 outings.
Other things to know:
- Montreal beat Boston 3-2 Nov. 8 in Montreal and 4-2 Oct. 22 in Boston
- Boston is 8-5-2 on the road
- Boston’s last 2 losses came at home against Colorado and Toronto
- Boston has scored 2 goals or less in 7 of its last 10 games
- Montreal has allowed 2 goals or less in regulation in 7 of its last 8 games
- Boston is 1-4 in its last 5 road games
- Boston is 7-19 in the last 26 meetings
- Montreal has outshot its last 2 opponents 85-37
Probable goalies: Rask, Price (confirmed)
Sign up below to get our daily NHL tips sent to your email the minute we post. That way, you will always get the best odds on each game…